KUT Austin | August 2019
'First Days in America'
We are finding, coaching and training public media's next generation. This #nextgenradio project is created with partner station KUT Austin, where six talented student journalists are participating in a week-long state-of-the-art training program.
In this project, six immigrants talk about how their first days in the United States shaped their lives today.
Next Generation Radio Austin
From left to right and bottom up:
- Stella M. Chávez (mentor), education reporter, KERA, Dallas, TX;
- Jan Ross Piedad (mentor), news operations producer, Texas Public Radio, San Antonio, TX;
- Samantha Guzman (visual editor), producer of SciTech Now for KLRU the PBS station in Austin, TX;
- Marnette Federis (web editor), managing editor, Stanford Journalism Program, Palo Alto, CA;
- Lita Beck (web editor), digital strategy editor, the Indianapolis Star, Indianapolis, IN;
- Lourdes Cueva Chacón (lead web producer), doctoral candidate at UT-Austin;
- Doug Mitchell, Founder/Project Director, Next Generation Radio, NPR, Washington, D.C.;
- Donna Pazdera (mentor), lecturer Texas A&M-San Antonio;
- Selena Seay-Reynolds (audio engineer), a graduate of the University of Southern California, Philadelphia, PA;
- Traci Tong (lead managing editor) producer and director, “The World,” WGBH/BBC/PRX, Boston, MA;
- Yunyi Dai (illustrator), senior at the Maryland Institute College of Art in Baltimore, MD;
- Elizabeth McQueen (mentor), Producer/Host, KUTX, Austin, TX;
- DaLyah Jones (mentor), reporter, KUT, Austin, TX;
- Ray Ruiz (mentor), director, El Gato Media Network, Houston, TX.